Monday, January 5, 2015

South Dakota: Great Faces. Great Places. Great Sunsets.


Each rotation of the earth brings us a dawn and sunset. In South Dakota, our view of the horizon is, for the most part, unimpeded. That simple fact provides us with some stunning vistas.

My time awake before the sun peeks at us in the morning is usually spent on some piece of exercise equipment or in a hunting stand. I am not typically equipped with photography gear.

Evenings, however are different. I enjoy watching the sunsets from our home. Because we are only 70 miles from the time zone line, the sun rests in summer months as late at 9:30 PM in our area. In winter months, the sun will dip below the horizon as early as 5:00 PM.

We get spectacular sunsets regardless of what time of day they occur. I like the winter sunsets a bit better because our home is situated where the sun sets down river in December and January, so we get both the sunset and the reflection of the sunset on the river.

I've decided to post some of my best sunset photos. I have gone into the archives for these photos. I have posted the dates though I find sunset photos are timeless.

We get 365 sunsets each year. While not all of them are as spectacular as these, God gives us many wonderful shows here in South Dakota. I invite you to take a "front row seat" in South Dakota. Even better, come join us at our house for the best sunsets in South Dakota!

I cannot resist a sunset photo. Now I have a place to share them! Check back for more. 

December 11, 2004
November 25, 2006
November 18, 2007


November 24, 2009
December 5, 2010
December 19, 2011
November 13, 2012
December 7, 2014
December 20, 2014









No comments: