Sunday, November 11, 2012

Time to Refocus

If you are a regular visitor to this spot, you know that I have been rather critical of General Motors' Essential Brand Elements (EBE) program here. I believe the program is unreasonable and unfair.

It is unreasonable because it is an overreach by General Motors into the dealership. It attempts to strip the dealer brand from the dealership and require interior elements that may not be useful or realistic for some dealers. It forces the same system on all dealers, large or small, rural or metro.

It is unfair because unless a dealer complies with these requirements, he is at a $500-700 per vehicle disadvantage. Dealers operate in a world where customers will move on to a different store for $50. Yet, GM representatives have the gall to suggest that it is an "optional" program. It's as optional as sails are on a sail boat!

Recently, my post regarding a visit from my GM Zone Manager to discuss the exceptions to the program that I requested caught the attention of GM executives. Apparently they did not like the fact that I found the visit to be a masquerade and told me so here.

This development has caused me great distress. These posts are intended to communicate updates to my family, my friends and the dealers that I represent in my NADA Director position. I believe my reach grew as these people felt the story I told to be unfair and they saw fit to forward it on. But I am not surprised at who has read it because it is published in a very public space.

I NEVER wanted the discussion to be about MY store. I only referenced my store because it was a personal experience that I could draw upon. I wanted to call attention to a program that I believe is unreasonable and unfair to all dealers, but especially so to small and most medium sized dealers - those that I represent. I thought my experience was very typical (as I found in visiting with other dealers) and thought it would give some specific examples of how unreasonable the program was.

So I will not be discussing my store's plight against EBE here any longer. I will gladly share any experiences from my fellow dealers (anonymously if they'd prefer). I will continue to post articles (from inside and out of the automobile trade press). I will continue to be a vocal critic of EBE and an advocate for my fellow small and medium size dealers.

Does this mean GM has won? I don't believe so. It only means that this spotlight will not be on my store or my desk any more and I will keep it sharply focused where it belongs - on the GM's unfair and unreasonable EBE program.

No comments: