Tuesday, April 10, 2012

31 & Counting

I have just returned from my 31st annual reunion with friends at the Final Four in New Orleans. While the basketball was great, the annual renewal of friendships is the highlight of the trip. And though Bourbon Street is fun, it's not near the draw it used to be. I enjoyed the pubs and restaurants just off Bourbon Street more than those right in the middle of the chaos. 
Again this year, our story seemed to be compelling enough to cover by a couple of different publications. NADA Headlines covered the story here in their Championship Monday emailing. That story came about after I had an NADA Public Affairs meeting right before I went to New Orleans. I was telling the story and David Hyatt, NADA Vice President of Public Affairs, thought it would be a timely story for the Championship Monday edition of the e-publication.

Wichita Eagle
4/1/2012
We were the subjects of an article in the Wichita Eagle on the Sunday (April 1) of the Final Four weekend. Eagle reporter Paul Suellentrop came to the Rathbone Mansions Bed & Breakfast where we were staying and interviewed all seven of us. Despite his best efforts to interview us in pairs, eventually it became the free-for-all that I am sure he wanted to avoid at all costs. It was a fun interview for us because it gave us an opportunity to relive some "Glory Days". I have not been able to find it online but you can click on the scan and read it.

Our visit to Louisiana this time included a swamp tour. I shot a little footage of the tour. We didn't see any Swamp People, but we saw our share of alligators including a couple of big ones. It was interesting to see the swamp up close.

This was our fifth visit to "The Big Easy" for the Final Four. It is a great venue for the event (despite the rain during each of the past three visits). I hope to go back! Maybe next time I can cheer on the Bluejays!

No comments: